Remove this ad

hidehunter

Fiberglass Sander

Lead

May 14 12 8:56 AM

Tags : :

I recently purchased a 1966 29ft Bristol. The halyard to raise the main sail was in the lazerrete. The halyard to the boom goes thru a swivel at top of mast.....I boworred a bosn.chair and was going to climb mast.. My binoculars show only one swivel at the top.Obviously the one for the main sail halyard is missing....What should I do ?  Thanks Dave

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 14 12 11:38 AM

The main and jib halyards go through the masthead sheave box and ride on sheaves inside the box. The main halyard uses the starboard sheaves and exits forward, of course; the jib halyard uses the port sheaves and exits aft. The boom topping lift as you describe uses an external block at the aft side of the masthead.

Good luck with your B29! What hull number is she?

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

hidehunter

Fiberglass Sander

#2 [url]

May 15 12 8:45 AM

thanks for the information     as you may have guessed I purchased the boat to learn to sail...
I dont know what the hull number is but there is a docomentation number stamped in wood inside. Ill get that when I go back to  the boat and send it to you tommorrow   thanks

Quote    Reply   

hidehunter

Fiberglass Sander

#4 [url]

May 16 12 9:43 AM

I looked for the hull number with no luck.....Where do I look ? I have the doc number  524959net7. I looked it up on the net, and at that time the boat was named  "Gallant Eagle" owned by a guy with a Dutch name.
Yesterday I had a young guy who is just out of the army  go up the mast....{.Now you can see how totally lacking I am in sailboat stuff.  Ive owned several power boats.  }   Well the shackle on the end of the halyard for the jib sail was up there at the top. The halyard was going thru a block attached to the left forward side of the mast at the top...He brought it down.... He was up and down quickly. We pulled him up using the topping lift (is that what its called) halyard that we disconnected from the end of the boom. That halyard went through a block attached  slightly left of center on the aft side of the top of the mast. So when he came down  I asked  where does the main sail halyard go.  According to him the main halyard goes inside the mast he thinks... Idont think so?.....The main sail halyard which is lying in the cockpit is missing something on the end   there is some electricians tape there....Ill have him go up again and look for sheves boxes...  Well this is fun and Im learning.   I put the smaller fore sail up yesterday....As soon as I can sail it   we plan on going to south Lido Beach  with a cooler of beer, steaks and charcoal and a couple of Sarasota bikini girls...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

May 16 12 10:50 AM

The block for your jib you are referring to I believe is for your spinnaker halyard. Both jib and main halyards path into the masthead sheave box and ride over two sheaves, one forward and one aft. The sheaves are ganged together. You can see the pairs of sheaves here (this masthead is not original but similar to the original B29 unit). This is the forward side of the masthead.

The main halyard goes up and over the two starboard sheaves aft to fore, out the forward end of the masthead and down to the main winch and cleat on the starboard side of the mast. The jib halyard goes thru fore to aft on the port two sheaves and down the mast to the port winch and cleat. The main halyard is always cleated on the starboard side of the mast.

The B29 does not have internal halyards.

The original halyards were wire with rope tails.

Your hull number should be stamped into the builder's plaque at the aft side of the cockpit. The hull number should also be the number on your mainsail.

Quote    Reply   

hidehunter

Fiberglass Sander

#6 [url]

May 18 12 9:03 AM

Again thank you so very much. Im printing this out at the library and am going to study it on the boat. If its calm enough to go up the mast tommorrow  Ill finally get this job done    Thank you d cantrell

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 18 12 11:53 AM

You might also see a block on the forward face of the mast about half way up, near the spreaders. That block will be for the spinnaker pole topping lift. There will probably be a cleat for that on the starboard side of the mast as well. A good place to stow the shackle ends for the spinnaker halyard and the spinnaker pole topping lift are to the stanchion base bales near the mast. 

Cheers,

David

Quote    Reply   

hidehunter

Fiberglass Sander

#8 [url]

May 19 12 10:12 AM

I got the halyard for the main up this morning   thanks for your advice.... had a different guy go up.  He put the wire end of the halyard thru the   "sheeve box? " Anyways the halyard could only go so far as the begining of the rope part of the halyard, which is fine because there is about 3 ft beyound the top of the main sail hookup....Now he said both wheels are not turning in the sheeve box    so ill have to just slide the wire along   till I get up again with some WD40, or whatever..I cant find the hull number   the plate must have been removed......When i raised the mast a little wayusing the topping lift   I could see  B29  and under it    If I remember right  the number 3443.......I look again today when I raise the nain all the way up.......Im going to have to put a shackle on the wire end of the halward...   so Ill just bend the wire and put it together using several small u bolts...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help