Remove this ad

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

Sep 2 11 1:01 PM

Tags : :

hello friends.  i have been considering the installation of a tiller autopilot (perhaps simrad tp22) but i caome against the problem of the rudder shaft amgle from the vertical.  does anyone (david?) have any possible solution? 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 4 11 5:32 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by the angled rudder shaft...I assume you will be attaching the AP to the tiller. Generally, the unit will be mounted to the seat of the Bristol and the shaft will snap down onto a pin permanently installed on the top face of the tiller. As the AP shaft moves in or out it pulls the tiller to starboard or pushes the tiller to port, and steers the boat. The angle of the rudderpost doesn't matter to the Ap since it moves the tiller.

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

#2 [url]

Sep 5 11 8:49 AM

hello david.  with a rudder stock that is angled to the vertical, the arc described by the tiller is not on the horizontal plane and, unfortunately, the tiller pilot pivot will be lower at each end than is is amidships.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 5 11 1:37 PM

I believe you will find that the tiller pilot is build to pivot up and down to accommodate the arc of the tiller as it moves off center. I have used a Navico Tiller Pilot for many years and have never had an issue with it. I venture to say that there are more tillers attached to traditional keel-hung rudders that to vertical rudder posts and tiller-based autopilots must accommodate them--vertical or otherwise.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 7 11 4:46 AM

A funny story about autopilots, I was sailing down to the Keys years ago, using a new (then) Tillerpilot steering a Loran plotted course for the sea buoy at Key West. I would take plots on a paper chart each hour and kept finding that the boat steered some 25 degrees off course. I fiddled with the autopilot's adjustments for hours and it only got worse. Long story short, I had a small pocket flashlight in my pocket that had a tiny magnet glued to the handle and as I would stand near the helm the magnet would cause the Tillerpilot to bear off course. Lesson for me was no magnets no where on the boat, period.

Quote    Reply   

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

#6 [url]

Sep 13 11 9:28 PM

I'll remember your story.  it made me realize that the previous owner had installed a loudspeaker not far from where the tiller pilot will be, and that i absolutely must remove it.  do you have any preferences between the raymarine st 2000 plus and the simrad (ex navico)  tp22?  i am leaning towards the simrad, perhaps only because it is considerably cheaper. 

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 14 11 5:13 AM

Either auto pilot will do fine: both companies support their equipment. For me it is more a case of if and how I wish to interface the auto pilot to other navigation systems--so it would depend in part on the brand of instruments you have and what you want out of your auto pilot. For instance, do you want it to be integrated with an anemometer to be able to automatically compensate for cross track error? Do you want it to steer to a GPS waypoint? Do you want it to be controlled by a wireless remote control unit or a wired unit? Also to consider, knowing the B29's propensity for weather  helm, I would lean in favor of a more powerful unit, and certainly choose the one with the fastest hard over times.

David

Quote    Reply   

geeter

Fiberglass Sander

#8 [url]

Sep 15 11 5:22 AM

I just installed a Simrad TP22 yesterday, slaved it to my (discontinued) Garmin 276C GPS. It works great, following a route plotted on the Garmin and holding a good course on all points of sail. I adjusted the gain a little downwind, and I'm sure I'll learn more over time, but I'm very happy with it. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

geeter

Fiberglass Sander

#11 [url]

Sep 16 11 10:23 AM

Sure, I'll take a few and try to post them tomorrow. I installed it on the port side, which requires that you reconfigure the autopilot for that side. Because of the weather helm, I found it useful to install three sockets for the autopilot pin. This allows you to move the autopilot to account for the displaced tiller location on each tack, which prevents the autopilot from "bottoming out" when it reaches the limit of its extension.  This may not be relevant to your installation, but in slaving it to the GPS I found that I had to wire the NMEA 0183 connection from the Simrad to the COM2 port on the GPS. This was because, despite the wiring diagram that comes with the Garmin, it was impossible to configure my Garmin depthsounder module on the same port as the Simrad - so I have the depthsounder communicating via Garmin's proprietary protocol on COM1, and the Simrad talking NMEA 0183 on COM2.

Quote    Reply   

geeter

Fiberglass Sander

#12 [url]

Sep 16 11 6:54 PM

Here are a few pictures of the Simrad installation. The pin on the tiller is located 18 inches forward of the point where the rudder post exits the cockpit sole, and the middle pin hole is 23 inches from the centerline of the centered tiller. I've included pictures of the autopilot installed in each of the three holes, with the autopilot arm extended to the middle of its travel. You can also see the hatch I installed to improve access to the rudder stuffing box. Also, as most of these boats are, Sandpiper is a work in process. I'm soon to change the canvas to match the color of the topsides, so don't think I'm color blind!

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

#14 [url]

Mar 13 12 3:05 PM

hello again geeter.  spring is apparently here and i'm finally getting to the installation of the tp22.  at what distance along the tiller from the rudder stock (curved line) did you install the tiller pilot pin?

Quote    Reply   

geeter

Fiberglass Sander

#15 [url]

Mar 14 12 1:23 PM

I mounted it 18 inches forward of the centerline of the rudder post where it exits the cockpit sole. That's 18 linear inches - not measured along the curve of the tiller, but in "boat space."

Quote    Reply   

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

#16 [url]

Mar 14 12 1:27 PM

many thanks geeter.  will keep you abreast. since apparently the bubble wrap is coming off the boat on monday.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help