Remove this ad

tm

Fiberglass Sander

Lead

Jul 8 11 4:49 PM

Tags : :

Hi,
 I am getting ready to launch B29 hull #22.  Bought her last fall and she had been sitting for a few years, but cared for previous to that; so things look OK. I have a dounut type zinc for the prop shaft; but it leaves about 1/4 inch of clearance to the rubber seal for the cutlass bearing. I assume that there will be enough room for water to circulate and lube the shaft.  Any good solutions??
Thanks,
TM

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

tm

Fiberglass Sander

#2 [url]

Jul 13 11 3:08 PM

Thanks David. 
I figured that I would be OK as the donut is quite smooth. Old Karma actually floats and the Sea Scout 25 runs nicely, so now I am tracking down leaks.  ~3-4 cups/hr. It turmed really hot/humid here in NH, so it is wicked sweaty work getting a good look at the stuffing box, which I assume is the major contributor.
Your website is legendary. Really nice work.  Catch you soon
TM

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 14 11 4:41 AM

Many thanks for the kind words.

You might also check the rudder post stuffing box. It is godawful difficult to get at so it is likely in need of adjustment. You can reach it via the lazarette and you could feel for any wetness there. Unless it has been serviced, it is a good idea to address it at your next haulout. I found mine (hauled around the 20 year mark) to be the original hose--cracked and ready to open up--the original hose clamps so rusted as to be next to useless, and the packing less than useful. It is necessary to drop the rudder about a foot or more in order to install a new hose.

Cheer,

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help