Remove this ad

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

May 12 11 7:20 AM

Tags : :

hello all.  i am in the process of buying a well cared and lovely 29.  there is only one problem: it has no lifelines.  all help on how to install stanchions, and how to design and build the termination at the stern without breaking the already weakened bank will be greatly appreciated.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 12 11 7:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum,

There are a couple of differently priced solutions for lifelines; but regardless you will need a pullpit--the railing that wraps around the bow and keeps on on board. The attachment is a measuring form you can use to define the dimensions of your pullpit. Or, most any marine stainless  shop or canvas shop will have a similar form. Depending on where you live it would be better to find someone local that can come out to your boat and do the measuring.
You can live without a pushpit--the railing at the stern of the boat--and just bring your lifelines down to terminate near the stern cleats.

Gates: You can get by without gates and just step over the lifeline. Gates as stanchions are fairly standard. I like Garhauer's work a lot. Their welding is first rate and they are extremely reasonably priced. Here is a link to their catalog to the stanchion gate page.  http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=56
Remember when selecting gates and stanchions to use around a 5 degree offset from vertical to account for the camber of the decks.

This should give you a start at pricing out a lifeline system. As to mounting the stanchion bases, If you look underneath the side decks you can see the general area where the old stanchions were--the cabintop liner will be cut out from those areas. I would use those same areas to reduce the complexity of the job.

Click here to view the attachment

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

rpicciotto2004

Able Bodied Seaman

#2 [url]

May 12 11 12:06 PM

hello david.  thanks much for your quick reply and the good info.  the bpat already has a pulpit so that is out of the way, and assuming that the price for bending and welding stainless would be a little high for my possibilities, i  thought of terminating the lifelines the way you suggest.  i will, in any event get someone on the boat to measure and give me an estimate for a pushpit. 

are you the david responsible for the superb blog on restoring a 29.  if so i am in awe.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help