Remove this ad

#142 [url]

Mar 27 12 8:09 AM

Greg,

Your idea for the bearings is first class. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not sure what Gene meant when he told you it would "last several years." I think the bearings will out live us both--it's a 50 year solution as far as I can see. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Cheers,

Dave

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#144 [url]

May 28 12 6:14 PM

On the serious note, I need some advise on tackling this...should I demo the entire support up against the hull and build a complete new assembly, or cut the front edge off of the support and remove whatever is left and then build the new chainplate support insert it into what I'll say would be the exisiting tabbing then reglass over the front edge...Dave I was expecting all the supports to be fine....I was surprised...I'm checking every single one closely now..Here are some pics of the other side..I will do like you advised and use the drill to make a few test holes then refill the hole if everything is ok..

Click here to view the attachment

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#146 [url]

May 29 12 6:51 AM

Greg,

Sorry to see the soft knee. It's a depressing sight but not too surprising.

Some “experts” say that the chainplate knee simple supplies a stable form for the fiberglass tabbing and that it is the tabbing that is the structural connection. This philosophy presupposes that the tabbing is heavy enough, that the tabbing was designed to work without support of the having a solid wood knee properly bonded to it, etc.
Having given proper deference to that point of view I can say that I think you should cut/grind off the old, questionable knees and start from scratch. Use the old knee as a pattern if you can. If I were doing it, I would build a sandwich of a layer of ¼ or 1/3 inch McMaster fiberglass, a ½ or ¾ inch layer of marine plywood, another layer of McMaster fiberglass, another layer of plywood and a final layer of McMaster Fiberglass. Glue the layers together with 404 and saturate everything in lots of epoxy.  Clean/sand the topsides area where the knee will be fastened down to virgin glass, sink the knee into a thickened mush of 404, create your fillets, and glass the whole thing in 24 oz biaxial.
Just a note: when using the McMaster fiberglass, be sure to clean both sides thoroughly with acetone and rough sand both sides with 60# sandpaper.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#147 [url]

May 29 12 6:13 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the help! I'll take some shots of what the knee looks like on the inside as I demo it out. BS1088 and the FRP thats an awesome combination!

Greg

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#148 [url]

May 29 12 6:55 PM

Greg, a marine diesel you can crank is a beautiful thing! I look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,

Dave

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

greg

Captain

#150 [url]

Jun 27 12 8:28 PM

Yeah you guessed it.......changed my mind and decided to go original on the rudder gudgeon bearing...good learning experience..

Pic 1 exact fabbed bearings mounted
Pic 2 and 3 bearings removed...
Pic 4 the spray on PVA mold release

Between the two of us we found the info and drawings which made it semi possible to build one from scratch. Dave, what do you think 105 and extra slow hardner and layers of bi-ax or mat and cloth for the casting...and do it all at one time..........

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#151 [url]

Jun 28 12 4:58 AM

Greg,

Coming along nicely! The biax would be easier to work with I think than the mat, but either with alternating layers of cloth would work fine. And like you say, all at one time. Please keep us posted...

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#152 [url]

Jul 1 12 10:26 AM

Dave,

Ok just like you said biax, it was so easy to work with! and 105 and the extra slow 209 was perfect...here are the results. let me know what you think and if you see anything else I should do...I think we talked about a delrin washer for the wear between the rudder and bearing..only thing I'll have to make a cut to slip it around the rudder shaft unless you have another idea..Anyway here comes the pics hope you don't mind...and hopefully if anyone else that has a 30' Citation and needs to build a bearing will find it here on the one stop info site Bristol29!

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#153 [url]

Jul 6 12 9:22 AM

Greg,

You did a fantastic job! You are the Man!! I'm coming to you for all my epoxy casting work :)I truly don't think the bronze will be an issue at all. I would pack the shell halves FULL of waterproof grease prior to final assembly onto the rudder posts and let it squeeze out everywhere. Clean it up and Bob's your Uncle...

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#156 [url]

Jan 20 13 6:28 PM

Hey Dave!

Don't work to hard! sounds like some serious writing going on! Hey took the cover off the electra so she could air out and get some sun!

Greg

Greg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help