Greg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

greg

Captain

#22 [url]

Feb 19 11 6:02 PM

Dave,

The stainless gudgeon .......just someones rig......I'm working with the local machine shop trying to get the proper pieces made....

Greg

Greg

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#23 [url]

Feb 20 11 6:56 PM

Dave,
More pics on the rudder...and a some questions too...

Q1-Delrin from Mcmaster to build the new gudgeon with? There is White,Glass filled,Black etc. can you point me in the right direction? Also what do you think about a bronze insert in the delrin that can be replaced? "overkill" found a pic somewhere I'll look for it...

Q2-Have you ever installed a rudder tube? would the fiberglass tube from Mcmaster be ok to use? The green frp is all I can find in a tube...and would the Delrin be what I would need to use for rudderpost bearing?

Click here to view the attachment

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Feb 21 11 6:50 AM

Greg,

The gudgeon: I wondered why yours didn't have a strap around it as in the Irwin drawings. I would think you can have a new one made from the detailed drawings. The thickness of your gudgeon must be less than the OEM gudgeon or the two halves would meet based on the thickness of the deadwood. Obviously, make sure that's the case with the new one. 

Q1: I would have the new gudgeon and strap machined out of the same material as the rudderpost--stainless I assume (only it should be 316L stainless--nothing less). I would make enough tolerence in the gudgeon so that you can install a delrin or Teflon sleeve. The sleeve can be in two halves, thin sheets cut to the insides of the two clam shells of the gudgeon. I would steer clear of adding bronze to that underwater mix.

The rudder tube: It is not normal, nor proper. Greg, what is the OD of the rudderpost and the ID of the rudder tube?

Q2: The McMaster tube if you can get the correct diameter would work fine. The diameter has to take into consideration an available hose diameter as well as an available stuffing box size--they all have to work together (which may be why the second hose was used in your boat--the old stuffing box no longer matched the diameter of the tube so it was "shimmed" with another hose, instead of replacing the stuffing box with the correct size.

Dave

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Feb 21 11 11:46 AM

Greg,

One other thing about the new gudgeon halves: if I were doing it I would add a stainless zerk fitting so you could shoot grease into it at each haulout. You can find stainless and even Monel zerk fittings at McMaster Carr.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#26 [url]

Mar 1 11 6:14 PM

Dave,

Do you know much about UHMW polyethylene? It's like Delrin I think..Mcmaster has it and I wondered if it would be suitable to use for the split gudgeon...or would you stick to the delrin??? thing is that UHMW doesn't absorb water....

Hey I discovered it in Nigel Calders maintenance book in the section on rudders and such....

The hole split gudgeon deal seems like alot of trouble.....maybe I should come up with an alternative to the hole gudgeon situation.....

Greg

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#27 [url]

Mar 1 11 8:03 PM

Dave,

I'm going SS like you recommended.....that way I'll have piece of mind...UHWM might be a good choice for the insert though...however the more I investigate the more I discover that delrin machines much nicer....so probably white delrin from mcmaster....but it says indoor use though...what ya think...Delrin is Delrin right?

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 2 11 6:04 AM

Greg,

I think Delrin would work fine. I fashioned a Delrin washer for my rudder to rest on at the top of the rudder shoe back in 1995 and it still looks like new (and it is only about 1/8" thick.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#29 [url]

Mar 10 11 10:41 PM

Dave,

I'm still putzin along working on the info concerning the rudder installation.....I ordered a new bronze rudder bearing and safety collar to replace the old one, and some clamps and hose and misc. other stuff. I'm still battling with the channel iron piece with the bearing, I could build a new one no problem out of steel again, but I wonder would the fiberglass be good enough you know strength wise...it's 27" long...what do ya think? a 36" pc of 4"X1-1/2 SS channel is pretty expensive 200 bucks...well just wanted to bring you up to speed....:)

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Mar 11 11 5:55 AM

Greg,

This would be more than strong enough for the top bearing support (from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-grade-fiberglass-(gpo3)/=bdwj0p )

Dave

2 products match your selections
MaterialFiberglass
Fiberglass MaterialElectrical Grade Fiberglass (GP03)
BackingPlain Back
FinishSmooth
ShapeSheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes
Sheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes TypeRectangular Strip
Thickness1/2"
Width3"
OpaqueRed
Lowest Temperature+0° to +60° F
Highest Temperature+201° to +300° F
Operating Temperature Range0° to +284° F
Performance CharacteristicHigh Tensile Strength and High Impact Strength and Electrical Insulator
ToleranceStandard
Specifications MetUnderwriters Laboratories (UL)
UL RatingUL 94V0
Length
 | 
These 2 products match your selections

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

greg

Captain

#31 [url]

Apr 9 11 6:32 PM

Dave,

I'm still here! I got kinda side-tracked with the rudder situation...Ah...making sure the rudder is level...had to stop go back and look though your info for the best place to level from...The compression post for the mast right...so had to stop and consentrate on the partition between the cabin and head so so I could remount the post and level the boat vertical and Hor. to make sure the rudder was right...so that's what I'm up to lately...I could post some pics if you like...How's things with you?

Greg

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#32 [url]

Apr 9 11 6:52 PM

Dave,

Can I bug you for some advice that's in a total different direction....I had  a Yanmar 2QM15 15HP in the Citation and I have the chance to get a Westerbeke W-46 ....46HP......the size is not that much different, weight is more 315 Lbs vs 535 lbs..  I know it would be WORK! but is it feasable....or out of the question???? My friends down Fort Pierce have it....I have some pics of that too!! Ed, says you can never have enough power...

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Apr 10 11 6:43 AM

Hi Greg,

Good to hear from you. Sending this on my phone so I will send more later. Yes send photos, please. As to the engine, first what is her displacement? The formula is three to four shaft horsepower per metric ton.. Dave

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Apr 10 11 7:31 AM

Greg,

Some things to think about, and certainly I went thru the same processes when I repowered the Bristol from its old 12 hp Volvo MDB2 to a 27 hp Yanmar. 

• How much prop can you turn? 
  • What will the added weight of the engine affect how your boat sits on her lines? 
  • What range do you wish to be able to power and can you carry the additional fuel needed to meet that range? 
  • Is your engine "room" large enough to supply the amount of cool fresh air needed for the larger displacement engine? Diesels use an enormous amount of air because of their higher compression.
  • Do you have physical room in all dimensions to accommodate the larger engine/transmission including the hatch or companionway opening? As to the 46 being similar in size to the 2qm, it has 2 more cylinders than the Yanmar so it must be longer--I believe the 2qm is about 24 inches and the 46 is around 36 inches?
  • Regarding the transmission, what is the ratio and how will that ratio affect the rpm of the prop?
  • You will need a larger diameter propeller shaft. Can you accommodate a larger propeller shaft and stuffing box and strut / cutlass bearing using the existing propeller tube?
  • Can you accommodate the larger diameter exhaust hose that the larger engine will require, as well as the larger waterlift muffler?

Dave

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Apr 10 11 9:49 AM

Greg,

Re: Is your engine "room" large enough to supply the amount of cool fresh air needed for the larger displacement engine? Diesels use an enormous amount of air because of their higher compression.

Here is the calculation for naturally aspirated diesel engines from my Yanmar Installation Manual:

required ventilation volume q = 0.13 x max output (HP) = cubic meters / min

So for the Westerbeke it would be q = 0.13 x 46 = 5.98 cubic meters per minute which equals  to more than 364,000 cubic inches of air per minute (or 211 cubic feet of air per minute).

Dave 

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#36 [url]

Apr 10 11 7:59 PM

Dave,

Thanks so much for the insight...I better pass on this deal and stick to something smaller.....Hey I ruined the 2QM15 I had...Don't know if you remember or not but I had the head and block cooked at the machine shop and the head reworked so it would be ready....then I put it on the bench without greasing anything down:( I just threw some shop rags over everything to protect them little did I know that under the rags everything was corroding....I was told because of the salt water....anyway I've been on the lookout for another power plant...Ed, called and told me about the westerbeke...but I think it way to much....but the price was right....anyway I'll call Ed and pass on it Unless you think I need to investigate a little more....

Greg

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#38 [url]

Apr 11 11 7:17 PM

Dave,

It was BAD:( ...No cylinders to bore the 2QM15 has sleaves..corrossion was in all the water jackets and in the walls of the block plus the head internally was completely clogged with heavy flakes of rust in every area....I have pics if you want to see....Turns out Ed, from Fort P. was up in the area and I boxes everything "everything" tranmission etc. and gave it to him to take back to Fort P. to his Yanmar contact to fins out if it was good or worthless...I'll let you know what he says when I find out...But from what little I've read I found out that once the air hits that salt water it bad news..

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Apr 12 11 4:43 AM

Greg,

I believe salt disipates out of sea water at 165 degrees so if your engine were running hot, such as from a partially clogged exhaust riser, it could happen.. be interested to see pictures and hear the final prognosis.

Dave

Quote    Reply   

greg

Captain

#40 [url]

Apr 12 11 8:33 PM

Dave,

I was running late tonight....and didn't get the chance to post the pics, but I will tomorrow...Standby..

Greg

Greg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help