Remove this ad

christopher

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

Apr 13 10 8:49 AM

Tags : :

How does one access the bilge pumps?  The water tank on my boat blocks all access to the bilge from above.  I can peer in there slightly in the gap between the cabin sole and the top of the water tank, but actually gaining access to anything down there appears impossible.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 13 10 12:00 PM

I can’t speak to your boat without seeing a photo, but the factory water tank on the B29 is located mostly centered under the hatch in the sole and does not block access to the bilge. Sounds like a PO may have installed something different.  

The bilge can be easily accessed by removing engine box. There is an open space in front of the engine and aft of where the cabin sole ends that allows you to see directly down to the bottom of the bilge, and gives acces to the hoses and pumps. The bilge probably holds 75 gallons of water up to the level of the cabin sole.

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

christopher

Able Bodied Seaman

#2 [url]

Apr 15 10 11:15 AM

Here is a pic of the hatch opening.  The water tank looks like it is of the same vintage as the boat, but couldn't be certain. 

This only the fore half of the hatch, but this water tank spans the entire opening and doesn't permit access from the hatch opening.  The engine box I suppose could be used but it seems that there's no way I could fit in front of the engine to get down there far enough to get at the bilge pump and other random grossness down there.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 15 10 1:42 PM

That tank looks original to me. The space in front of the engine is the only access to the bottom of the bilge. Generally speaking you need to have your pump strum boxes and your electric pumps attached to some sort of vertical brace that you can use to lift all that up and out of the bilge. On my boat I use PVC piping to run down to the bilge with strum boxes on the bottom ends of the pipes, and attach my hoses at the tops of the pipes. I attach the submersible pumps to the PVC pipes and then lock the pipes down with brackets that screw into the engine bed. Does this make sense?

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help