Remove this ad

LeforaGuest

Fiberglass Sander

Lead

Oct 16 09 8:08 AM

Tags : :

We're going to be opening up the starboard lazarette so as to allow us "larger individuals" to easily get in and out of the engine compartment under the sole. As it is, one needs to be a small Asian fisherman to be able to get in and out. Another 34, "Gusto" was modded in this fashion, but I have other ideas as to how to re-attach the cut-out that has better looks and functionability. I plan to hinge the side hatch and seat it against a split rubber "edge" gasket. A flat, "U" shaped piece of glass/cloth will be tabbed to the inside of the lazarette, overlapping the edge of the hole. The gasket "split" will be applied over this lip with adhesive. This allows the hatch to be waterproof and to keep you from "losing some hide" while climbing into the compartment. As in the pix, stainless hinges at the bottom and latches at the sides (butterfly or "snap" catches).

Here's the "Gusto" mod and the "Baby" mod.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 16 09 8:39 AM

Fish,

Welcome aboard!

An interesting mod. It could help with installing and removing things like water heaters, batteries, etc as well. Have you considered one or more Bomar aluminum watertight cockpit sole hatches instead (like this one)? http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/ventilation-heating/hatches-screens/hatch-bomar-inspection----15-3/4x-13-9/16-w/t-hdnl-104622-/4,133.html

Best,

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

Fiberglass Sander

#2 [url]

Oct 16 09 10:20 AM

No, sorry, hadn't even considered it due to trying to conserve the cash for the important stuff like..paint LOL. Unfortunately, we have a limited budget so we're being creative where we can but still trying to maintain the "look" of the boat. Actually, the entire sole forward of the traveler has to be recored, but I think my Bud is afraid of a leaky boat so is not real conducive to a hatch in the sole (If it were up to me I would!). So this is the next best thing, I guess.....

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help