Remove this ad

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

Jul 6 09 6:33 PM

Tags : :

On my B29 there are two dorades, one on either side of the stern lazerete.  When I bought the boat both vent houses were hanging in the bilge and the ends were submerged in water. First question, where should the vent hoses end, should they go to the engine compartment or all the way to the bilge? 

Second and very separate question, should my bilge be dry?  I had all of the below water thru-hulls replaced and had a new cdi drip less stuffing box installed on the prop shaft yet there is still water in the bilge.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.    

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 6 09 8:15 PM

Regarding water in your bilge. I personally don't like or trust drippless stuffing boxes and it may in fact be leaking. Some tend to blow a mist when the prop is turning. Sometimes they do not seat correctly--but you should be able to see water dripping from it or spraying when the prop is turning. IF you don't see water dripping from it and all your thru hulls are new, I would suspect the stuffing box for the rudder post. It may need adjusting. It uses an identical sutting box to the engine stuffing box but these are rarely serviced becuase they are so hard to get at. So it may need to be adjusted, or worse, the hose may be leaking or the hose clamps maybe loose or broken. Other than this area, are you sure that your knotmeter paddle thru hull is not leaking and the same for your depth sounder?

The two aft vents: if your engine is gas, then you need to run new hose from one vent to your bilge blower (it is usually inside the port cockpit locker) and from your bilge blower to the bilge under your engine. The other vent doesn't need any hose on it. If your engine is a diesel, you don't need to have the bilge blower, nor any hoses at all. The engine is well ventilated from the bilge for a diesel engine.

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

#2 [url]

Jul 6 09 8:48 PM

Thanks for the info.  

Sorry to hear you don’t like the drip less stuffing box.  I have heard really good things about them.  The water is definitely coming in from the stern area.  I had the konometer thru-hull sealed as it was located below the water tank and would have been nearly impossible to close in a hurry.  Could be the depth sounder, I will take a closer look.  

As for the vents, I do have an A4 and there is a blower but that exhausts via a vent in the cockpit.  As it is right now each of the two vents on the stern have houses that run under the quarter berths into the bilge area.  It sounds like this may be unique to my boat.  

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jul 7 09 8:51 AM

I would seal the vent into your cockpit, so that your cockpit is watertight, and then direct the vent from the blower to one of the cowls on the aft deck.

My guess is that you are getting water past your rudder post stuffing box. You can in fact get under the cockpit to see it, you just have to go into the lazarette head first and upside down. I plan to install an inspection access hatch in my cockpit sole so I can see it and adjust it from the cockpit. If the hose is damaged or rotten from age, you will have to pull the rudder in order to change the hose. It is fairly easy to adjust the stuffing box.

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

#4 [url]

May 5 10 7:41 PM

Hi David,  is there a size of stuffing i should by for the rudder post stuffing box?  I defniately need to get in there and inspect this and thought it would be good to have the stuffing on hand.  Thanks.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help