Remove this ad

greg

Captain

Lead

Jun 28 09 2:11 PM

Tags : :

Dave,

Do you have any experience with the Bosch 1250DEVS dual mode sander? I know you bought the festool 150 and wondered if you happened to shop around for options before you took the plunge and spent the dollars. According to some of the reviews I've read the Bosch seems to be a pretty decent sander. Like you I'm looking for something that can be aggressive enough to cut through that black bottom paint and get me down to the gelcoat so I can prep the bottom again. Vacuum is a must!!! Also need it to be gental enough to do the fine work too. The Bosch runs around 250 so it's some what cheaper than the Festool...Im using a Porter cable now but it's just random orbit. Let me know what you think..

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 29 09 8:17 PM

Greg,

I'm a real fan of German tools and Bosch for most tools. Their jig saw is the best, most accurate I've every used. I also have a Bosch table saw that I really love. If you don't want to spring for a Rotex 150, then the Bosch is probably a good second to it and several hundred dollars cheaper. Having said all of that, the fastest easiest means of stripping bootom paint I have found is to use a carbide paint scraper, one that you pull. It cuts thru the paint faster, and if held correctly, doesn't not damage the barrier coat of the gelcoat. When I redid the Bristol's bottom I started with the Festool, but soon found the scraper and stuck with it.

Dave

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 30 09 12:41 PM

I'd just like to add that I will never use hard "epoxy" bottom paint again. For me, the scrapping did it and I will always use an ablative soft bottom paint from now on, probably Interlux Micron 66 or something similar. No more scrapping and sanding!.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

greg

Captain

#4 [url]

Jun 30 09 6:13 PM

Dave,

I have no idea what was put on the Citation, so I decided to take it down to the gelcoat and start over.  Thought it would be a good idea, that way I can check for blisters and make the repairs if needed. But your right, not only is it tough to remove, but it's nasty toxic stuff! PPE is a must!!! If the carbide scraper will do the trick that will be fantastic!! Hey on another note, did you just use te West System with the 422 or did you use some Interprotect 2000E before you applied the West? If yo use the Micron 66 does it just scrape off? Ordered the Bosch today too I'll let you know how it turns out, I hope it will take the anti-skid off like your Rotex 150 did! "Heck you could have painted that"!

Greg

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 1 09 7:41 PM

There's no easy way to get off hard bottom paint--it's just a foul job, but good for the arms and shoulders. The scraper works great I think. When I got the Bristol down to her gelcoat I saneded the bottom with 80# sandpaper and then applied the West System using the 422 barrier coat additive (I think it's the same as the aluminum filler). Then I put a primer over it just to protect the epoxy from UV. 

Dave

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help