Remove this ad

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

Apr 19 09 7:07 PM

Tags : :

Hi David, so I took this Bristol 29 for a test sail yesterday.  The halyards were attached at the mast; the head sail to the port and main to the starboard.  If I wanted run the lines to the port side of the cabin top so I could raise and lower sails from the cockpit would I need to change the mast head arrangement for the main halyard? Or can I just run the line to the base of the mast, through a block and then to a deck organizer and rope clutch?

Thanks. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 20 09 7:04 AM

The second scenario would work fine. You can bring the main halyard down to a turning block at the base of the mast on the starboard side just above the maststep and you will be aligned for a fairlead thru a deck organizer at the leading edge of the doghouse. Then straight back to a rope clutch and the winch. You might also think about bringing the main outhaul back to cabintop in the same way. 

I had my Bristol rigged so the jib and main halyards came to rope clutches on the cabintop back about 15 years ago. For me, I found eventually it was easier to just go to the mast instead. I did use a downhaul for the jib before I bought a furling system and it worked very well.

Good luck,

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

svensonole

Fiberglass Sander

#2 [url]

Jan 5 11 11:15 AM

Fullkeel - I'd love to see some pics of how you ran your main halyard. I'm going to be doing the same thing this spring and would love some ideas. Did you also end up running your downhaul alongside the halyard??

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help