Remove this ad

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

Lead

Apr 1 09 5:22 PM

Tags : :

wondering if anyone has seen a holding tank mounted above the water line in the bristol 29 such that it could be gravity emptied.  The bristol i am looking at does not have a holding tank at all, it is a direct discharge.  Did any of the bristols come with a holding tank?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 1 09 6:53 PM

Holding tanks were not mandatory on B29's becuase of their age. However, it is a required upgrade if you upgrade any of the plumbing associated with the head. I have a Nauta bladder holding tank under the vee-berth, but as a part of the my refit, I plan to build a small above the waterline holding tank in the head.

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 13 09 8:16 PM

Well it depends on how complex you wish to make the system, how large a tank and the tank material. I chose the least expensive route by using certified odor free hose (if there is such a thing) and a Nauta bladder tank. I never had any odor in the boat, but I generally did not "keep" it in the boat for long. I would guess that system cost around $400.00 in parts when you figure in the hose and the Y valves needed. If you can find a rigid tank that will fit under the vee berth, it might cost slightly less than the bladder tank. Check the Defender catalog and see how the tanks they have are sized and priced. 

The gravity feed tank I am planning will only be about 5 gallons--maybe smaller.

Have you seen and surveyed the B29?

David

Quote    Reply   

fullkeel

Able Bodied Seaman

#4 [url]

Apr 13 09 9:38 PM

Hi David,

Yes I have looked at the boat, it looks solid.  Going for a test sail tomorrow, will let know how it turns out. Any advice?

Thanks

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Apr 14 09 5:18 AM

No there's nothing that would reveal itself under sail. You will notice some weatherhelm but that is natrual for the boat and others of that era. Have fun--wish I were sailing today...

David

Quote    Reply   

geraldagotts

Able Bodied Seaman

#6 [url]

Apr 22 09 2:41 AM

since I'm new here and to sailing as well.  Oh but I've been an armchair sailor for years.  Anyway, I have a B-27 and my holding tank looks very simple.  It appears to be about 5 gallons and is under the berth in the salon right next to the enclosed head.  It looks like a plastic gas can to me laid on it's side.  Even with the  valves and hose I can't believe the cost would be more than $ 100.00 or so.  If anyone is interested I can take photos but have never put photos online and might need help with that.  I don't know if this is original in 1975 or not.
     You guys with B-29's.  What is the difference between a B-27 and a B-29 ?  I know 2 ft.  Do you get a wider boat with the added 2 ft. ?  I've got so many questions.
     I just thought ....... Do you guys mind me asking questions when I don't have a 29 footer ?

Cheers,   
Jerry
S/V Apogee

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 22 09 8:39 AM

Jerry,

First of all, welcome aboard! And, no this forum is not just about Bristol 29's, although we can get pretty specific about them--it is about any older classic built of fiberglass and certainly about any model Bristol Yacht. So your questions about your B27 are certainly welcome.

The differences in the B27 and B29 are mostly these: the B27 was a Carl Alberg design--historically it was the first boat built by the Bristol Yacht Company. The most famous Alberg design is probably the Pearson Triton (at 28 feet). The B29 was the second design that they undertook. The B29 was designed by Halsey Herreshoff. The designs are similar in many respects: Alberg's has a bit more sheer, more to my liking, but the boats look very similar and were built side by side at the same time. The B27 has a foot less beam, 1000 pounds less ballast and about a ton less displacement. Her waterline length is about 3 feet shorter, but both boats are great sailors--Halsey specifically designed the B29 to be fast in racing as well as cruising while Alberg was looking more at just cruising I think.

I don't want to drift the thread too much. I'd be happy to expand on the first generation Bristol designs and everyone is welcome to add their knowledge. I think we would all love to see photos. If you have trouble added them here, let me know.

David

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help