Remove this ad
avatar

capnfox

Fiberglass Sander

Posts: 7

Lead

Jun 16 13 10:39 PM

Tags : :

Long time, no post, but my excuse is a year-long restoration of hull #75, Swallow. New roller furling and lazy jacks, electrical system, dodger and mainsail covers, lifelines, running rigging, and almost done with installation (by mechanic, not me) of Yanmar 10hp, single cylinder engine, fuel tank, vents etc. In yard now for new cutless bearing and shaft seal, reinstallation of Monitor windvane, new bottom paint, thru hull etc. Also new mahogany table. Cosmetics next now that she is cruise-ready again. BTW, the original water tank has pinhole leaks, so have cut large rectangular hole in top and planning to install bladder tank inside existing stainless tank. Other big item is reinforcing under the mast where it sits in the pan -- nothing between that and the hull except about six inches of air. Great boats -- solid, strong, overbuilt really but that's fine with me. Have loads of pictures and will post once I have sorted through them. Many thanks to David for this forum and generous advice. CapnFox      

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 17 13 1:03 PM

Always very pleased to hear of new life given to one of the old gals. Good for ya! The bladder tank is exactly what I did after finding pin holes as well. The mast reinforcement is I believe needed on almost all B29s: mine has some scraps of plywood glassed haphazardly. It will be fixed right.

Cheers and good sailing!

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

capnfox

Fiberglass Sander

Posts: 7

#2 [url]

Jun 18 13 7:39 AM

Thanks David. What size bladder tank did you put it? I've seen various computations for the size of the original water tanks -- mine looks like about 20 gallons but haven't done a careful measurement as yet. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 18 13 11:34 AM

I believe I started with a 20 gallon bladder inside the stainless box. Later I removed the stainless tank entirely and upgraded to a 50 gallon rectangular Vetus bladder. I glassed into the inside of the hull 1/2" bolts, then laid and attached a rubber shower liner from Home Depot as a protective pad for the bladder, and then bolted the corner grommets of the bladder to the glassed in bolts, which how the assembly very solidly in place.

Cheers,

David

Restoring a Bristol 29 in my backyard. www.bristol29.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help